Sign in to follow this  
Se7en

Vive goes wireless.

Ok its been anounced today that you can buy an addition to the Headset that turns it into a Wireless device. 
$220 is going to be the Cost. Perorder from Vive china site. 
Is it worth it?
Would you prefer the wireless addition or do you find that the wires dont bother you that much.

For me i can wait it out a little longer and upgrade to the vive 2.0 when it gets released which i guess will have it included. I dont find the wires a problem and im not sure i would like the extra weight on my head. 

Here is a Link to the Story. http://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-wireless-kit/
And a link to the Vive site https://www.vive.com/cn/

It means that Vive are ahead of the Competition which should help boost the sales and might get more people to get VR which can only be a good thing 

I'm going to wait and see some reviews not sure i will upgrade to the new version of the vive unless they confirm that quality of the upgrade so wireless attachment would be my choice providing there was no latency issues

I guess it's already been done, in backpacks, and other various forms, months ago -right? So, now that there is an "official" product, that's great and all, but no I would definitely NOT pay an extra $200 + for an add on snapped on top the head likely to add more weight and generate more heat. Plus man, this thing right on top your head, you need to wear a tinfoil hat to protect yourself from all the RF etc? Wah. Has to be all-in-one, for the same price as the existing complete headset. Similar to other various tech gen releases. New generation released, same price as previous generation, previous generation available at a lower cost (to deplete production inventory/stock).

Surprise! :)

To be clear on a few things - this is a third-party accessory, created by a Vive X funded (in part) company. It's official in that it works with Vive, obviously, but it's not an HTC-created peripheral.

As for latency, while I haven't used one yet, I've been told the experience is basically just like using the Vive while 'wired'.

The initial rollout is in limited numbers, hence launching in China first. I have no idea if we're certain to get a Western release, although I think it's probably likely, if it's successful.

Of course, it's also version one of the tech. :)

Yeah...I just went to the site to see if I can order it, and it all in chinese, and when I clicked on what I thought would be qty 1 and checkout, it added the price in cny, but doesn't actually let me do anything or order anything..  

LiFi? WiFi is too slow for 90fps 2.5x HD resolution.

Look at the close ups on the product page it has vive like tracking cutouts. May be a preproduction render... but why else would you need those?

LiFi uses direct line of sight beaming of data using visible... or near visisble light. Potentially hundreds of times faster than wifi.

Also note in the UploadVR video... the transmitter is mounted high... you dont need to do that unless its to stop things getting in the line of sight.

I may be wrong, but if they have LiFi working this is indeed a game changer.

You just educated me, . Lifi's new on me.

I genuinely have no insight into the tech right now, so sorry, can't give you more details. I'm sure it'll come out soon enough....

Lol... turns out its not LiFi... someone quoted their specs which say 87Mbit/s... which isn't LiFi speeds. That means it's using compression instead as a 90fps 2180x1200 3bytes per pixel needs circa 5Gbit/s. I.e. An HDMI or display port cable. They are quoting lag of 15ms.... so may jut about be doable. Must be good enough is HTC China to feature it on their own accessories store not say "It's a 3rd party product - nothing to do with us!".

Fast compression - hmmmn. What are they throwing out of the data? Maybe they just transmit changes and not the whole screen and dropping a bit of bit depth in the colour - 10 bits per pixel instead of 24? Be interesting to see what's at the PC end... hardware compression box, or just leave the PC to do that?

I was pleased to see it come out, but on thinking about it I realised I hardly notice the wires now (i did get a pole to take the wire to the ceiling height which helps a lot too) but I am more worried about the battery only lasting an hour and a half or so, or having to have a battery in my pocket, presumably with a cable to it! I quickly bought wireless headphones to get rid of the headphone cable lol.