Sign in to follow this  
Rocky

Viveport Arcade to bring VR to 'thousands' of real-world locations

Hi , no problem at all! I will always try to help if I can.

Regarding the TPCast - it's currently available only via the Vive website. You can order to have it shipped outside of China, but with limited availability, it's focused towards the Chinese market. I'm sure it'll come west in some form at some point, but I've got no more info right now.

(And potentially a great thing for VRcade operators for sure!)

Hey , welcome! As soon as we have more info to share it'll definitely happen here.

I'm going to ask around about the Enterprise side of things had make sure that there are no hitches there. Can I ask when you applied?

yeah TPCast it is the great thing :) I've never expected it will be avaible so soon, hope there is no leatency problem, can't wait to see first reviews. Before I was thiking to invest in MSI VR backpacks... but after todays news... :) no more... Keep fingers crossed and hope to see it in Europe soon :) 

Hi all,

Just reading through the comments and it seems theres enough people planning on opening an arcade here to warrant a deeper discussion.

already suggested this on the first page, and I'd like to see if anyone else is interested? I'd love to find out what everyone is planning and I think we could all help each other a lot. So if anyone wants to bounce some ideas around please let me know here.

Cheers,

Jamie

I've got lots of ideas to share... want to keep picking up people on other social forums first and pointing them here. Keep mentioning you want to start a VRcade and get them on Viveport. There will be a time shortly where I'll disappear as my shop lease is almost sorted - got some recommended wording changes today from the lawyer... so then it will be hell for 3-4weeks. I'm thinking what we actually all need is not to go private yet but throw in some ideas what arcade owners will need - that's different to a home user... here's some thought starters from me...

A means of controlling access to titles. Both as paid time, and age based. 

Being able to bill customers for their time. Links to a central PC or a cloud based system?

Having games that are easier to pick up than the standard edition. Maybe through in game training rather than lobby training. E.g. No one wants to shoot targets instead of baddies. Just turn off damage for a start and do the tutorial as you go along.

Games need a way to end which isn't "your time ran out". The old way was - make a boss level. Or ramp up the difficulty.  In VR or modern gaming, can that be done differently? Make it you pay to do a level raw data being an example... you can finish even if you die... you get about 10 - 15 minutes per level. The come back is trying to get the pick ups and bits you missed. Or do it on hard mode.

Do we want to encourage - just another go type play? Do we have morals, or are kids addicted to gaming ok?

Do we want gamer profiles? Eg. Logins or usb sticks so players can store previous game progress. I don't like USB due to security issues - so an in store login or RFID member card might be better.

For a link between developers and arcade owners....

We definitely need more stuff than "there's a zombie, dinosaur, alien... I better shoot it then". VR means you can be anyone do anything. Not a human form that dislikes all other species and player and none player characters. That said how about a game called "Alien Zombie Dinosaurs from Ancient Planet Hell". LOL - that's not been done before. Personally I want to be a ghost and scare the **bleep** out of other players in a VR maze. Whoooooooooo as I pop out of the wall :) But what ideas can we come up with that devs can go off and built prototypes for and then get us to beta with customers? I've got access to a nearby team of 55 unity and unreal developers so looking forward to emptying my crazy mind in their direction.  Try not to copy anything that's been done before - a space shooter would be cool. Nope. Think you have hands, physics that can be twisted, you have motion and size and shape to play with. All sorts. Fancy being a wild cat - hunting deer. Yep. How about a fish. Trying to evade being eaten by a shoal of dolphins. Yep. Want to see how high you can drop an egg onto the floor before it smashes - and then how high you can drop it before it smashes someone's skull? NVidia just built their new breakage modelling ;-) How about skyscraper Jenga. What about wiring up a house with electricity - while the cables are live, and its raining. Instead of an escape room how about a break in room. Kung fu... what has no one done kung foo! Surely it's just a matter of time before I get to pick someone up and throw them to the other side of the room and then stare at them with laser eyes! Did I miss this? I can't believe no one has done it?

How do we get the other 50% of humans involved. You know - females. Creative and emotive experiences apparently appeal more than smashing and shooting stuff. Oh and all my female family and friends seem to like having the crap scared out of themselves. I don't - I scream too much! 

What do arcade owners need most of all though... games too big to fit in a living room ;-) Fullsize roomscale 4x4m minimum. Someone posted on Youtube a big room where they got the lighthouses working over at least 10m! Multiple players in one space, and real hands and props. Stuff that gets expensive for home use but in commerical use is your value add. Devs - we need to work with hardware developers.

There's 300 signed up to make laser tracked peripherals so I wait to see if we get tennis rackets, kick shoes, base balls, shields, and not just 300 varieties of AR-16s. Judging by the number of Zombie shooters I may be hoping for too much :(

Right... lets get this show on the road! Don't worry about getting the cost down, lets up the fun factor, get an income back to software devs and HTC and we'll get the price down on Vive 2.0 ;)

Simon "GrimGreeener" Heath.

Great post Simon / . Super positive and overflowing with ideas! I'm going to spread this one around. :)

Hey everyone, I just wanted to draw your attention to the Viveport Arcade Operator FAQ which we just published. It may have some details you aren't aware of.

I'll tell you up front though - pricing isn't discussed directly in there. That's still being decided upon. However, if you're an operator or potential operator, I'd encourage you to read it. Thanks!

Hi there, yeah i applied on the 02/08/16 using my personal email address. My name is Lewis, and I have secured funding to open an arcade. Very interested to see the discussions on per minute pricing etc. And I agree it should be done in a seperate forum. 

If you could let me know more information that would be good. 

regards

Hey , looking into the separate forum... and you'll get an email from our Viveport Arcade team at some point. They're figuring it out now I believe.

So I've just received an email from HTC about Viveport Arcade. I think it asks to send in questions so they can create an FAQ. I think, because the e-mail is in Chineese only. Google Translate only goes so far. That's one issue.

The second one is that apart from the actual email I got 6 empty emails with only the signature and a confidentiality note (which is in English btw). That's a minor but annoying thing.

The worst issue is the third one. The email is addressed to about a 100 people and all the addresses are visible to everyone! I'm sorry but is this 1999? This is what BCC is for. This email is a spammers treasure and while half the addresses on the list look like throwaway accounts, but the rest are often realname@domain.com This is especially infuriating because I intentionally used my proper email address to register there and it does contain my real name. Luckily it's only about a 100 people and not 400k like I've seen one bank do but it's still very unprofessional.

I will be replying to it and trying to explain this to the person who has sent it. If that doesn't work I will write to who I assume is his/her supervisor because there is an address under CC and it is an .com address.

It's nice hearing from Viveport Arcade team but that's not a good first impression.

EDIT: I have already recieved an apology. That was impressively quick. Don't worry about it anymore I guess.