Viveport Arcade to bring VR to 'thousands' of real-world locations

Hey ,

Thanks for the reply

Some features i'd love to see in the software would be

• Ability for users to call for assistance while in-game
  • let the users check how much time they've left, 10 and 5 minute warnings
  • let me speak to individual users via their headsets
  • be able to control all software from main computer
  • tracking of stats, and maybe even customers (to see trends with repeat customers etc.)
  • Ask the devs to make a video tutorial for each game, and let users view it in their headsets while in the lobby etc ( some games assume you know the controls when you do the tutoral the first time) --see question 1 :)

All the above would help shorten the time spent on explaining, problem solving etc.

These are just examples of some of the stuff im thinking about, the price to get somebody to make a custom system are too high for most shops i'd imagine. I'm not even sure HTC will go down this kind of route with their software but id love if they did :smileyvery-happy:

Couple of more questions

1. Are any of the games going to be designed or changed to suit arcades? I know brookhaven and a couple more are but i know some games will have problems with saved progress from previous users.  Things like tutorials might be skipped. Raw data has an arcade version releasing soon and im hoping others follow suit.
  2. Does HTC have a recommended play-space size for arcades? Probably be the same min space as a home setup but you never know!

Thats all i can think of now but im sure i'll think of more later. On the question on having somewhere to discuss these things, id love to see a didicated place to chat but i only joined yesterday so i dont know if theres enough numbers for it. I have lots of questions for other owners and feel we could help each other a lot.

Thanks for listening

Jamie

What interests me the most right now is:

- What will be available ?

- When will it be available ?

- How much will it cost ?

I realise that those are unknowns right now but all the rest does not prevent me from opening the place and running it. All the rest is details I don't need to worry about until later. Until those questions can be answered, at least partially, there's not much else I'm interested in.

I registered for Viveport Arcade and hopefully we get some more information about it soon.  I didn't have a company name to put in yet, so I hope it's not going to be a problem. I want to start my company around Jan-Feb, find a venue start working on it. Not sure how long the paperwork is gonna take but a reasonable estimate is that I could open around May or even earlier if things go well. Hopefully during this time more will be known. My backup plan right now is Valve's Site Licensing Program. It looks fairly expensive for now, but it's better than nothing. I'll try to run some numbers on it soon.

If anybody gets into the Viveport Arcade program, please let the others know (ofc if you're not bound by NDA or something). That way we know if we have to worry about our registration being rejected for some reason but not getting any messages telling us that. I could see that happening.

For now I'm fine discussing this in public but I'm also fine with moving this discussion somewhere more private if others feel it's necessary. That might change later ofc.

In short: Keep me updated and I'll be satisfied.

I have similar "problem" as other people above, especially "when?" and "how much?". I'm going to open VR arcade in Spain in comming months, but this new licensing model is kind of game changer so I need to wait with some decisions till we all get answers. I would appraciate some info when we can expect those answer, it would help to plan comming steps and timeline. 

I have one additional question. The price per minut going to be same for all games or each game is going to have own per minut price?

Hey  - some great suggestions and questions here. 

I'll pass on all the suggestions for the software. Can't guarantee anything of course, and some of this stuff may be later features that are added, but I think you've got good ideas.

Couple of clarifications / follow-ups:

- Call for assistance while in-game - do you mean a generic, "I need help" sort of thing (like, effectively, a warning light on a console) or more like "I'd like to order a Coke"? :D

- Control all software - do you mean being able to, for example, shut off someone's access? You'll be in control of what software's available on a PC via Viveport Arcade. I assume you're talking app-level control? (Also makes me think: age restrictions could be usable as a setting.)

- Video tutorials are a good idea - something to show while people are in line too, a la Disney.

Your questions:

Are games/apps going to be changed? We're going to be evaluating every title that gets submitted and determine if it's right for Arcade. If it needs modifications, we'll definitely suggest that, but ultimately it's down to the developers to decide if they want to make that change.

Recommended play-space size would obviously be the minimum specified for home use, but I'd suggest you want more space if possible. And probably to pad walls. :D

wrote:

• Ability for users to call for assistance while in-game
  • let the users check how much time they've left, 10 and 5 minute warnings
  • let me speak to individual users via their headsets
  • be able to control all software from main computer
  • tracking of stats, and maybe even customers (to see trends with repeat customers etc.)
  • Ask the devs to make a video tutorial for each game, and let users view it in their headsets while in the lobby etc ( some games assume you know the controls when you do the tutoral the first time) --see question 1 :)

All the above would help shorten the time spent on explaining, problem solving etc.

These are just examples of some of the stuff im thinking about, the price to get somebody to make a custom system are too high for most shops i'd imagine. I'm not even sure HTC will go down this kind of route with their software but id love if they did :smileyvery-happy:

Couple of more questions
  1. Are any of the games going to be designed or changed to suit arcades? I know brookhaven and a couple more are but i know some games will have problems with saved progress from previous users.  Things like tutorials might be skipped. Raw data has an arcade version releasing soon and im hoping others follow suit.
  2. Does HTC have a recommended play-space size for arcades? Probably be the same min space as a home setup but you never know!

Thats all i can think of now but im sure i'll think of more later. On the question on having somewhere to discuss these things, id love to see a didicated place to chat but i only joined yesterday so i dont know if theres enough numbers for it. I have lots of questions for other owners and feel we could help each other a lot.

Thanks for listening

Jamie

, totally understand your top questions. Those are mine too, internally. Not holding back on you here!

If I had to guess - and I do right now - I don't think we'll be available globally by Jan-Feb. That's just based on what I know right now, but I might be completely surprised. I mean, stranger things have happened. Electing a reality TV show star to be President, for example.

I'll pass on your thoughts regarding acceptance and rejection, btw. I would hope if you do get rejected for some reason we'll let you know. We're not the arbiters of, you know, how you decorate your VRcade or whatever, so hopefully rejections would be thin on the ground. At the early stages, it's possible we'll only roll out to certain countries (this is usually associated with banks and where we can support). Again, I'm trying to get more info on this stuff.

BTW if anyone hasn't seen the Enterprise page for Vive, they're here for US/EU:

http://www.vive.com/us/enterprise/

http://www.vive.com/eu/enterprise/

wrote:

I have one additional question. The price per minut going to be same for all games or each game is going to have own per minut price?

, sorry I can't give you more details on timing yet but I'll get it to you as soon as I have it.

On price-per-minute, I believe it's going to be the same for all from your perspective as an operator. You're buying per-minute usage of Viveport Arcade and what's within it. Of course, it's up to you what you decide to charge the end consumer.

Thanks again for the reply ,

Couple of clarifications / follow-ups:

- Call for assistance while in-game - do you mean a generic, "I need help" sort of thing (like, effectively, a warning light on a console) or more like "I'd like to order a Coke"? Smiley Very Happy

Just a general call for help so they dont have to take off the headset, headphones etc.  And if i could talk directly to the via their headset it would save lots of time.

- Control all software - do you mean being able to, for example, shut off someone's access? You'll be in control of what software's available on a PC via Viveport Arcade. I assume you're talking app-level control? (Also makes me think: age restrictions could be usable as a setting.)  Age restriction is a great idea! App-level control if possible :) , but being able to control or even see the viveport overlay from my computer would be helpful (assuming there is an overlay). You cant see the steam overlay on the monitor so it can be hard to explain to a user what to do when you cant see what menu they're on. 

All the best

Jamie

Hi there, another interested Vive owner and potential arcade operator. Interesting to read all the thoughts here, can I add, I am in the same boat of waiting for information, and have even applied to Vive enterprise (twice?) to get commercial sets, or even just begin discussing it, but never had a single reply from HTC or anyone else regarding Commercial sets. (I was going to do demo stands etc). 

My business plan is coming together, and might be getting some funding. So I need more info! Cheers. 

thank you for your answer, approciate it even more, becasue like others, it is the first place where can get any naswer :) 

Just now I read very interesting info abotu wireless kit (http://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-wireless-kit/). Is it possibiel to preorder it to Spain, or for now preorder is only for China?