Sign in to follow this  
vrcoolj

HTC Vive For VRChat?

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone is using their Vive for VRChat and if you think it's suited for this? I was reading an article (link) which suggests the tracking on the Vive is ideal for VRChat but it perhaps falls down in other areas next to other headsets (display for example).

Anyone here had any experience of VRChat? Thanks.

VR Chat is ideal for Vive because Vive is a room-scale virtual reality system meaning that you can walk around a 5m diagonal room. With Vive, you can use Vive Trackers to add virtual tracking to both of your feet as well as your waist allowing full movement from your lower body to be rendered in VR. 

The thing about full body tracking in VR Chat is your Avatar has to be properly setup for it, some of the default VR Chat Avatars work well with full body tracking. The Vive with 3 optional Vive Trackers is the best full body setup you can have but it's expensive, there are alternatives that require a lot of tweaking and external drivers to work decently, they use a Kinect for Xbox One to do the full body tracking, I have tried this and it actually worked decently but is a pain in the butt to setup and tweak.

Take care

Regards: Jack

Thanks for the responses. I hadn't considered mulitple body trackers to improve the experience, but yeah the cost will be a consideration for me. I may pick up one to try and see how it goes and then build from there.

Hi vrcoolj, I would talk to people in VR Chat that are using the 3 Vive trackers just so you know what you're getting into and to see what you could do with just one tracker. One tracker might not work with VR Chat.

There are quite a few people using full body tracking, many are using the Kinect for Xbox One (dirt cheap used), find those people also and see what they have to say and pay attention to their movements in VR Chat, this might be good enough for what you are looking for. There aren't many other apps that take advantage of full body tracking, so getting the Vive trackers is quite an expense just for VR Chat.

Take care

Regards: Jack

's advice is super solid. Talk to someone actively using the setup within VRchat - they'll certainly be the subject matter experts in this case. Online communities like VRChat move so quickly that the community knows what's up far better than we ever could. 

's advice is super solid. Talk to someone actively using the setup within VRchat - they'll certainly be the subject matter experts in this case. Online communities like VRChat move so quickly that the community knows what's up far better than we ever could. They'll be able to talk at length about how awesome full body can be but how difficult it can also be to setup/manage.