Sign in to follow this  
Se7en

If you could Design a Vive Game what would it be?

A populous / black or white style god game would be great.

I also would appreciate a RTS (give us a back Command & Conquer ... in VR \o/ )

As silly as it sounds, it would be cool to bring new angles to existing staples.  Like I am a huge fan of F1 and racing games, but it would be awsome to be a tire guy for pit stops or jack person.  a fun mini game that can have a real impact on the race as well.

wrote:

Hi,

I would like a game with asymmetrical (couch/online)-multiplayer. The person with the Vive will play an overpowered monster/character/creature and up to four players with different classes (with Gamepads/without HMD) try to escape from or defeat it. I think it would be a nice game for local(couch-party) or online play, so you can even play with people who don't have a vive. Maybe the four other players have a drop down sight and the Vive-User plays first person, so the game would combine a fps and a more rts-like gameplay. Like a cooler version of Evolve or Dead by Daylight^^. 

Another cool idea would be Black & White VR, another user already mentioned. =)

I was reading this thinking "This is Evolve we're talking about!" (I got to help out with that game a bit when I was at 2K. :) )

I'd certainly say, even something like Evolve would work well in VR... being the monster in that game while being in VR would be kind of awesome. Swiping at those pesky Hunters with your controllers and seeing them fly across the map would be great.

Black & White is overdue for a revival, too. Someone call Peter Molyneaux! ;)

wrote:

Got a few ideas, wanted to do them but have no idea how to make games. Trying to decide on what engine to learn.

Anyone played Magicka or Magicka Wizard Wars? 

Some sort of 1st person game where you can combine spells/skills to try to take out mobs or other players. Have like a button assigned to each element. Could have different effects like push controllers is to fire offensive and raise controllers up is to raise a shield,

Some sort of TCG like HEX or MTG. I've grown up with cartoons like Bayblae, YuGiOh and the like so anything like that would be cool now its actually possible. 

1st person Scribblenauts like game where you can call out items, weapons, pets for a dungeon crawler type game. Always imagined it as some NPC firing arrows at you and you scream sheild and 1 appears in your hand ready.

Also, I'v seen a lot of appartment simulators but with nothing that usefull in them. Maby like an apartment you can make yourself and decorate, then set interaction points with the TV to watch from a video folder on your machine. A bookcase that interacts with a folder full of PDF books on your machine. A Computer that you can sit in front of that is just a desktop port of the machine your on. 

These are all cool ideas! Square has made a VR TCG called Project Hikari, but I'm sure there will be more TCGs. Magic: The Gathering could be amazing if done right.

I'm sure your virtual apartment could be done in Vive Home before too long. I think I'd go for something more crazy though. How about the Batcave? Or the surface of Mars? :)

wrote:

As silly as it sounds, it would be cool to bring new angles to existing staples.  Like I am a huge fan of F1 and racing games, but it would be awsome to be a tire guy for pit stops or jack person.  a fun mini game that can have a real impact on the race as well.

That reminds me of old games like Puzzle Pirates, where you had to team up and assign different tasks so that you could sail your ship together. I'm hoping that Star Trek: Bridge Crew has that sort of feel (out next March). Being part of an F1 pit crew could be pretty intense!

My suggestion for developers is this - 

Reconsider all that has come before. VR is s new paradigm and requires a deep reflection on what constitutes an 'experience' or a 'game'. 

Return to the fundemental theories of gaming...

For example - 

What does it currently mean to INTERACT

Interactvity within VR must depart entirely from deskstop modes of thinking.

Rather then pressing a button, pulling a lever or patting a dog - which results in a singular action. VR demands interactive experiences which are far richer and vastly more complex.

For example - an entire game can be created around the singular theme of deep interaction. 

A creature or environment with deep, detailed and expansive levels of interactivity with deep and varied responses and emotions. I have seen seen so many examples of missed opportunity for interaction in current titles.

Secondly,

Many deveopers are creating titles that are uninspired and outright mediocre. If you are not investing as much energy into conceptualising a game and lending VR the type of inspired content a new platform deserves you are doing a disservice to everyone involved. Stop hiding nonsense behind the novel mechanics of the new technology. 

Apart from a small group of outstanding titles - there is no escaping developers are stuck in a rut of decades of entrenched ways of thinking and doing - which is glaringly evident.

Doom on VR- is mediocrity 

Fallout VR is mediocrity 

Dragging the same old same old - over to a virgin platform - from major developers and they really have no excuse. Porting titles as their foray into VR. From companies who carry great weight. The developers wise enough to take RISKS in a risk adverse world and who create from a place of inspiration have the power to elevate VR content well above what is currently out there.  The key is breaking out of  this carry over mindset.

Content is all there is! VR is defined by its content. I think much of the world is ready for vastly more meaningful digital experiences.  A return to the time of possibilities. If it is not immediatly doable - at least there should be signs of growing interative- innovation - that points to a slowbirthing of a new vocabulary for the medium. 

I personally would prefer to take a walk then stick a device on my head - where 

cheap depictions of war, violence, horror and gore - are all that's being offered. Infact, I cannot think of anything less life affirming and emotionally destitute. 

On the contrary, experiences like Firebird, The Blu and Gnomes & Goblins veer closer to the kind of enriching content VR can provide.

VRs objective is to provide novel experiences and new impressions that exceed real life. Like walking through carefully crafted set pieces, being guided upon a deep cinematic experience filled with rich meaning, surprise, presence, art, beauty, space, form, story, laughter, aesethics meta physical dimension,  emotional engagement, rich narrative, relaxation, exploration, discovery - experiences that warrent staying in virtual reality. 

VR is a lifestyle - start respecting content consumers. Everytime I think of the current batch of releases I cringe. Some developers appear to have no comprehension of visual communication, aesthetics, design harmony, role of colour theory, pattern, symbolism or visual metaphor. 

I want experiences which enhance not cheapen the technology. I want to be able to place my headset on- spend a evening inside with a bottle of wine with an experience that warrants my time. Not assaults on my brain with childishness, war, gore and what is artistically and creativly void banality.

Developers : Stop being cheap. Develop from inspiration. Think new,

It would be a recreeation of Sherlock's Mind palace hwer its like a library and you can grab a book write in it put it back on the shelf and come back to it later. it would have a search function in the form of a librarian that would go find books with your search criteria. maybe their would also be some real books. at this point in time ive heard text in VR isnt great but i think it would be really cool to beable to store all your memories/experiences/journals.

your so right that a lot of games that come out are uninspiring, I put it down to the fact VR is still so new. if i had a time machine i would love to go forward 2 year from now and see how its all developed. 

Interaction is a key point with Vr and the options are endless.  I was watching a video on the Mountain gorilla last night and yes it's well filmed and presented but i was sat there thinking WOW how amazing would this be in VR,
I would say 99% of people will never get the chance to visit most of the amazing creatures we have on this planet and that's a good thing because it would destroy its natural habitat  but if you could visit the African savanna, the swamps of Florida or take a trip up the Nile all in VR thats what im looking forward to.